Application process for non-EU students
The application procedure for all students willing to study at International University College is standardized. Applicants holding a citizenship of non-EU member state have the additional requirement to apply for a VISA D for a legal stay in Bulgaria before arriving.
APPLICATION TO IUC
In in order to apply to International University College the first step for you is to scan and send by e-mail the following documents:
– an application form for IUC
– a scan of your secondary education diploma & scanned grade transcript (please, note that this is compulsory for both Bachelor and Master’s students).
The applicant needs to have 62% or higher out of the maximum possible grade in the general subjects, in order to be approved by the Ministry of Education /Regulation for admission of foreign students of the Ministry of Education, 09.05.2000, amended 2004/.
Note to Master’s applicants: Together with the secondary education diploma, candidates for Master’s programmes must also submit a scan of their higher education (university) diploma and grade transcript. This diploma does not need to be certified at the Bulgarian Embassy. It only needs to be translated if it is not in English.
Please, do not send any additional documents (e.g. references, certificates) as they will not be considered at this point.
English language requirements
As English is the language of instruction at IUC, all the applicants must have a level of English sufficient to participate and be successful in the learning process. To prove their level of English students must either provide internationally recognised English language certificate (TOEFL, SAT, IELTS, PTE, CAE, etc.) or sit for an English language test at IUC.
We accept the following results:
• TOEFL IBT with score of min. 79 points
• SAT – over 1000 points from two sections
• IELTS 6.0 (or equivalent score from other internationally recognized testing systems)
On the other hand, international students whose native tongue is English or whose language of instruction at school was English (and are able to provide proof of that), are exempted from the English language test.
Those applicants whose level of English is insufficient can choose to start in the preparatory year (2 semesters) or can opt for additional language module at IUC.
Please, send all of the above mentioned application documents within the same e-mail message. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
You must then receive an approval from IUC that your documents meet the admission requirements.
There is a registration fee of 90 EUR, which is non-refundable, but is deducted from the total amount of the tuition fee. Bank accounts here.
Secondly, after submitting your application form by e-mail, together with a copy of your secondary education diploma and English language proof, and being approved by IUC, you can proceed to collecting and sending VIA POST the following documents:
1. Filled original application form
2. A copy of the diploma for completed Secondary Education including the compulsory subjects, notarized by a Notary Public. It needs to be translated in Bulgarian and certified by the respective authorities (with an apostille from the local Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and a certification from the nearest Bulgarian consulate/embassy).
(Master’s students must also provide their certified secondary education diploma. Higher education diplomas (Bachelor degree) and transcripts do not need to be certified; applicants must provide copies.)
3. A certificate issued by the Ministry of Education or another responsible authority in the applicant’s residence country to prove that the academic credentials of the applicant give him/her the right and access to university education in the country, in which the diploma was issued. The certificate needs to be translated in Bulgarian, and certified by the respective authorities (with an apostille from the local Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and a certification from the nearest Bulgarian consulate/embassy)
4. An Original Health Certificate, issued not earlier than a month prior to application (with an apostille from the local Ministry of Foreign Affairs, translated and certified at the nearest Bulgarian consulate/embassy).
5. Four photos passport size
6. A copy of your passport.
The documents have to be posted to the following address:
To the attention of International Office
International University College
3, Bulgaria Street
Note: We recommend that you scan and e-mail us the documents prior to posting. This will allow us to check the documents in advance and prevent any delays in case a document needs to be corrected.
Detailed information about Application Procedure
Finally, once IUC approves your admission and receives the original documents, your documents are to be sent to the Ministry of Education, Youth and Science in Bulgaria, where the final decision on your admission will be made. The process takes approximately 4 weeks. If you are awarded an admission, the Ministry issues a certificate which is necessary for obtaining a Visa at the Bulgarian diplomatic mission in your home country or in the nearest one, and send the certificate to IUC.
Please note that upon arrival, all international students who have no internationally recognized certificate of English have to sit for the IUC English language entry test.
Academic dates and Application deadlines
The academic year for Bachelor programmes and Preparatory Year of English begins in the last week of September with an introduction week. Classes begin in the first week of October. When preparing your application, please plan accordingly.
Applicants can also apply for the February intake for Bachelor programmes at IUC (spring semester). The deadline for receiving such applications (STEP 2) by post is November 1st. This would mean submitting the online applications (STEP 1) at least one / two months earlier. After that point, no applications are processed by the Ministry of Education for the current academic year.
The Master’s programmes begin in mid-October and last one calendar year. No February intake is offered for Master’s programmes.
STEP 4. Visa Application
In order to study in Bulgarian, citizens of non-EU countries are required to obtain a Visa D for studies Information on the documents, required for Visa D application, is available on the website of the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: General Information and Issuance of Visa D.
The complete list of Embassies of the Republic of Bulgaria is available on the following link: Bulgarian diplomatic missions. You can contact the respective Embassy for detailed information and assistance.
Bulgaria is currently in the process of joining the Schengen zone